Crumb Topped Apple Pie
An apple pie with a streusel topping
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup cold water
5 large tart apples (if smaller apples use up to 10 apples), peeled and thinly sliced
2/3 cup sugar
5 tsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold butter
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt;, cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1-1 1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
2. Roll out pastry to fit in a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate; flute edges. (pinch between thumb and first finger).
3. Peel and core and slice apples. I have an apple/peeler/corer, slicer that works awesome.
4. Once the apples are peeled, cored and sliced, place the apples in the prepared crust.
5. Then finish the touches on the filling by combining the sugar, flour, and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top of the apples.
6. For the topping, combine the flour and sugar in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly.
Should look like this.
7. Sprinkle streusel topping on top of apple filling.
8. Bake at 450` for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350`; bake 50-60 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. (Remember to reduce the heat to 350`).